Senior Research Fellow with expertise in urban planning and sustainable cities
Nordregio is currently seeking to expand its capacity by adding new Senior Research Fellows to the team. In particular, we are interested in someone who:
- Has strong analytical skills and a critical mindset
- Has experience from research and activities related to sustainable urban planning and development
- Is interested in green and socially inclusive cities
- Knowledge about relevant policies in the Nordic countries
- A PhD or similar qualifications in addition to a number of years of relevant work experience.
- A professional background in urban or regional planning, human geography, sociology, political science, architecture, landscape architecture or an equivalent discipline.
- Extensive experience in multiple urban planning and policy research fields, for example including:
- Housing, mobility, greenspace, social well-being, integration, governance, community engagement, green infrastructure, circular economy, and carbon neutrality.
- Quantitative analytical methods, including advanced spatial analysis, statistics, data processing.
- Qualitative analytical methods, including action research, survey development and analysis and case studies.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of urban development processes in a wider regional development perspective, including urban policy development.
- Interest in contributing to green, competitive, and socially sustainable regions and cities in the Nordics.
- Able to disseminate complex results to a wide audience, including colleagues and stakeholders.
- Ability to network and work collaboratively with a range of stakeholders and partner organizations.
- Experienced in fund raising, project development and project management.
- Ability and willingness to contribute to Nordregio’s goal of being an environmentally conscious, supportive and equal working place.
- Fluent in English, and, if not already fluent in a Scandinavian language, the willingness to acquire a working knowledge of Danish, Norwegian or Swedish within a short period of time.
What we offer
A full-time position as a Senior Research Fellow. We offer competitive salaries and a contract with a maximum length of four years. Subject to further agreement, the contract can be extended for up to another four years. According to the agreement “Avtale om rettstilling for samnordiske institusjoner og deres ansatte”, you are entitled to a leave of absence from your present position for the duration of your employment at Nordregio if you are employed by the State in a Nordic country.
Nordregio is recognised and respected as a leading Nordic research institute within the broad research fields of regional development, policy and planning. We specialize in applied research that analyzes and evaluates the latest development trends in policy areas central to Nordic regional economic growth, competitiveness and sustainable development. Nordregio contributes towards meeting existing and future challenges facing the Nordic countries, Faroe Islands, Greenland and Åland, by facilitating cooperation, knowledge sharing and learning between national, regional and local stakeholders in the search for sustainable Nordic policy solutions.
Nordregio adopts a multi-disciplinary approach to research. Our research team has a broad competence within the social sciences, including urban planning, human geography, political science, spatial planning, institutional economics, natural resource and environmental economics, business economics, sociology, anthropology and GIS/cartography.
Nordregio is a flat organisation. Our work is carried out in project teams made up of junior and senior researchers, along with GIS experts and communications specialists. Teamwork is a particularly important aspect of Nordregio’s research activities and much of the responsibility for projects is delegated to project teams.
We are a team of multidisciplinary, international people and our office is situated in attractive surroundings at Skeppsholmen in the heart of Stockholm, Sweden. The institute was established in 1997 by the Nordic Council of Ministers and is built on 50 years of Nordic collaboration.
Working at Nordregio provides you with the opportunity to become part of a truly international research environment. We offer significant career development potential in terms of enhancing your international network of contacts in both policy and academic fields, as well as extensive experience with project management. You will also have rich opportunities to collaborate with regional and municipal stakeholders in the Nordic countries.
How to apply
Upload your application, including a CV and references HERE no later than September 30, 2021. Interviews will be carried out in the beginning of October.
For further information, please contact:
- Director Rolf Elmér: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone +46 76 110 53 77
- Research Director Karen Refsgaard, email: email@example.com phone: +46 76 323 53 38
- Union representative: Mari Wøien Meijer firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: +46 76 014 01 42
More information about Nordregio: www.nordregio.org
Title: Senior Research fellow
Application deadline: 30 September
Employment conditions: Nordic conditions
Job category: Employment with a Nordic institution or partner