Current job opportunities at Nordregio:
Head of GIS
Nordregio is inviting applications for a senior position as Head of GIS Department.
Working at Nordregio means an opportunity to become part of a truly international research environment with a focus on sustainable regional development in the Nordic region and beyond. It offers significant career development potential in terms of enhancing your competences through applied and policy relevant research, achieving an international network of contacts, as well as getting extensive experience in team and project management. You will also get rich opportunities to collaborate with regional and municipal stakeholders in the Nordic countries.
Nordregio is currently seeking a new Head of GIS Department with:
- Expertise in GIS, geo-data, quantitative analysis, and applied research in the field of regional development.
- Experience in leading a team and managing projects as well as a successful track record in grant applications.
- Knowledge in geographies and socio-economic trends in the Nordic Region and beyond.
- A drive for working in teams and in an international applied research environment.
- Eagerness to present and disseminate results to different stakeholder groups, both orally and in written format.
Competences and qualifications
As Head of GIS Department, you both lead and manage the GIS-team by planning and organising tasks and activities, communicate with each team member and contribute to their development. You are also a project manager with responsibilities to attract, initiate and lead externally funded research and innovation projects. The geographic scope of your field of interest includes a European and international perspective and expert knowledge in at least one of the Nordic countries.
We appreciate abilities in external networking and in communication with stakeholders. Internally we appreciate analytical and creative skills, complemented by abilities to both cooperate and work on your own.
For this position, you have at least 6 years of relevant work experience and an extensive network of research and policy contacts. As Head of GIS Department, you hold a PhD (or MSc) in GIS, economic or quantitative geography, or an equivalent discipline. Fluency in English is essential, and you should be willing to acquire a working knowledge in a Scandinavian language within a relatively short period of time, if you do not already speak one.
Additional details and contact information
Nordregio intends the position to be full time from May 15th, 2021, or as soon as possible. We offer competitive salaries and a term contract with a maximum length of four years. Subject to further agreement the contract can be renewed for up to another four years. Also, according to the agreement “Avtale om rettstilling for samnordiske institusjoner og deres ansatte,” if you are employed by the State in a Nordic country you are entitled to leave of absence from your present position for the duration of your employment at Nordregio.
For further information, please contact:
Union Representative, Sandra Oliveira e Costa (firstname.lastname@example.org or +46 76 169 3876)
Apply no later than March 7th, 2021. The interviews will take place in week 11 (via Teams).
At the moment, there are no open positions at Nordregio. Find out more about the requirements here.
Nordregio has great experience in collaborating with students and universities. Internship applications are always welcome. As an intern you need to be affiliated to a university/university programme during the time of the internship, i.e. the internship should preferably be part of your studies. Find out more here.
Nordregio welcomes internship applications at any time however the main application periods are as follows:
- May/June (for internships the following Autumn)
- April/May (for summer internships)
- October/November (for internships the following Spring)
Placements vary in length from two months up to six months, with the exact period and working grade subject to individual agreement. The specific skills we require from interns varies depending on our project needs. In general, we look for applicants who are:
- Reliable and hardworking
- Comfortable working independently and as part of a team
- Studying in an area relevant to Nordregio’s work (e.g. sustainable development, political science, sociology, anthropology, economics, economic geography, urban and/or regional planning or similar)
- Able to work proficiently in English and ideally have at least some knowledge of one the Scandinavian languages, Finnish, Icelandic, Greenlandic or Faroese
In return, we offer the chance to be part of an international, multidisciplinary team working on a range of issues related to rural and regional development and urban planning.
Other things that are good to know:
- The internship should form a part of the studies
- Internships at Nordregio are unpaid
- The student is responsible for arranging and paying his/her own accommodation in Stockholm
- The student’s home university is the responsible authority during the internship period, meaning that the student is not covered by Nordregio’s insurance
Please note that Nordregio’s capacity to accept interns fluctuates and we cannot guarantee the number of places that will be offered within each period.
Please, send your application and any questions to email@example.com. We receive a lot of inquiries, but we appreciate all applications.