Nordregio is currently seeking to expand its capacity by adding a new Icelandic speaking Junior Research Fellow to the team. In particular, we are looking for candidates with an educational background and/or experience in one or more of the following fields:
- Sustainable rural development (e.g. policy analysis and issues concerning challenges and opportunities for rural areas)
- Innovative and resilient regions (e.g. green transition, resilience, skills, welfare, smart specialisation, and digitalisation)
- Sustainable cities and urban planning (e.g. issues concerning transport, housing, public spaces, and planning systems)
- The position as Junior Research Fellow requires a bachelor- or master’s degree (300 ECTS) or equivalent. The degree should be in a social science discipline aligned with at least one of the research fields above (e.g. economics, political science, sociology, geography, planning or similar).
- A Junior Research Fellow is expected to have up to two years of relevant experience in research or practice after graduation.
- Highly motivated with the ability to work independently, as well as the skills to work effectively in a cooperative research environment.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to take a creative approach to complex problems.
- Well-developed communication skills including the ability to network and work collaboratively with a range of stakeholders and partner organisations.
- Ability and willingness to contribute to Nordregio’s goal of being an environmentally conscious, supportive and equal working place.
- Fluent in English and Icelandic and if not already fluent in a Scandinavian language, the willingness to acquire a working knowledge of Danish, Norwegian or Swedish within a short period of time.
- The geographic scope of your fields of interest includes in-depth knowledge of at least one Nordic country as well as a pan-European perspective.
Main Work Tasks
- Participate in research projects under the supervision of senior researchers.
- Work independently with the collection and processing of data and also with tasks of a practical and administrative character.
- Perform analyses of different kinds and to write reports under the guidance of a more experienced researcher.
- Conduct field trips within Nordregio’s geographical focus areas.
What we offer
The position will be full time from 1 November 2021 subject to agreement. Nordregio offers competitive salaries and a contract with a maximum length of two years. Subject to further agreement, the contract can be extended for up to another six years. According to the agreement “Avtale om rettstilling for samnordiske institusjoner og deres ansatte”, you are entitled to a leave of absence from your present position for the duration of your employment at Nordregio if you are employed by the State in a Nordic country.
Nordregio is a Nordic research centre for regional development and planning. We conduct solution-oriented and applied research, addressing current issues from both an academic perspective and from the viewpoint of policymakers and practitioners. Nordregio participates in European, Nordic and national research programs and carries out commissioned projects for different levels of government. We conduct case-studies in different regions, perform territorial analyses on a transnational and pan-European level, and undertake evaluations of various European and national programs.
We are a team of multidisciplinary, international people and our office is situated in attractive surroundings at Skeppsholmen in the heart of Stockholm, Sweden. The institute was established in 1997 by the Nordic Council of Ministers and is built on 50 years of Nordic collaboration.
Working at Nordregio provides you with the opportunity to become part of a truly international research environment. We offer significant career development potential in terms of enhancing your international network of contacts in both policy and academic fields, as well as an extensive experience with project management. You will also have rich opportunities to collaborate with regional and municipal stakeholders in the Nordic countries.
How to apply
Upload your application, including a CV and references no later than 30 September 2021.
Interviews will be carried out during the first weeks of October.
For further information, please contact:
- Director Rolf Elmér email email@example.com, phone +46 76 110 53 77
- Research Director Karen Refsgaard, email firstname.lastname@example.org, phone +46 77 323 5338
- Senior Research Fellow Mats Stjernberg email@example.com, phone +46 73 943 2607
- Union representative Johanna Jokinen Johanna.firstname.lastname@example.org, phone + 46 73 447 5193
More about Nordregio: www.nordregio.org
Title: Junior Research fellow
Application deadline: 30 September 2021
Employment conditions: Nordic conditions
Job category: Employment with a Nordic institution or partner