This policy brief aims to provide planners with a clearer understanding of the opportunities and challenges presented by the use of sustainability indicators to support urban planning and policy-making.
There is a common saying that goes “what gets measured gets managed”. With this in mind, Nordregio research has identified a number of perspectives that can be of value to planners considering whether to use indicator frameworks to monitor the performance of comprehensive urban planning strategies. We found this to be a pressing issue in light of the fact that a number of comprehensive city plans in large Nordic cities have been developed with little or no consideration given to the inclusion of indicator frameworks.
- Integrated Models: Planning Urban Sustainability
- Nordregio News Issue 1 2014: Planning Tools for Urban Sustainability
- A Spatial Analysis of City-Regions: Urban Form & Service Accessibility
- Addressing social sustainability through everyday life: Experience from a pilot study in four Nordic city-regions
- Planning for sustainable lifestyles: political limitations and possibilities