Rapid urbanisation is one of today’s biggest global challenges. Nordic Sustainable Cities is a flagship project under the Nordic Prime Ministers’ initiative Nordic Solutions to Global Challenges that seeks to shed light on this challenge from a Nordic perspective.
The White Paper on Nordic Sustainable Cities develops a narrative to describe the “Nordic Sustainable City”. It forms a basis for the knowledge sharing effort that will be carried out by Nordic Innovation, Nordregio’s sister institution under the Nordic Council of Ministers in 2018. This work aims to export Nordic stories as a means of branding the Nordic Region and contributing to global efforts towards urban sustainability.
See also a case collection of 54 cases that exemplify a wide range of Nordic sustainable cities
What is the Nordic take on solutions for sustainable cities? by Luciane Aguir Borges
Read more about the Prime Ministers’ Initiative on norden.org
Read more about the Nordic Sustainable Cities project
White Paper – download the publication
Sharing a Sustainable Urban Future: A Nordic Cities Perspective
Every minute, 120 people arrive in cities around the world. Whether it is through movement or birth, this population increase, coupled with a lion’s share of global greenhouse gas emissions and economic production, puts city regions squarely at the centre of climate change action.
- Amman, one of the fastest grown cities in the world, is moving towards sustainable city planning
- The Nordic story on Sustainable Cities
- Two new articles published on urban and territorial development
- 30 May, watch live launch “Nordic Solutions to Global Challenges”
- 16 March, Nordregio is co-hosting a workshop on Sustainable Urban Development at ArkDes, Stockholm
- Bioeconomy in the Nordic region: Regional case studies