The Nordic region faces a significant labour shortage challenge in many countries and places. Recruiting skilled workers to fill vacant jobs has become a common regional development issue for rural and cross-border areas. The project aims to fill knowledge gaps about strategies to address rural labour shortage, regional variations, and sectors that are particularly affected.
The post-pandemic labour shortage situation in Nordic rural areas can be attributed to several reasons, such as decreasing rural population numbers and the retirement of ageing permanent rural populations. Moreover, rapid social transformations, including the green transition, automation, and digitalization, have led to structural changes that impact the Nordic rural labour markets. To ensure sustainable rural areas where men, women, and youth thrive, it is crucial to match the necessary occupational groups with their competencies.
There is a lack of understanding about the common challenges of labour shortage in Nordic rural areas, as well as the strategies and solutions currently in use. This project aims to provide a comprehensive overview of the situation by collecting statistical data, producing visualizations, and facilitating discussions to fill these knowledge gaps. A cross-Nordic workshop will be arranged to discuss nuances, strategies, and solutions to the issue. National experts will also contribute with country-specific knowledge about rural labour shortage strategies and regional variations. The results will be summarized and published in a report.
The project will address the following questions:
- What strategies and solutions to rural labour shortage exist in the Nordic Region?
- What regional and rural variations of labour shortage exist in the Nordic Region?
- Which regions and sectors are especially challenged by rural labour shortage?
- How can the strategies in use to address labour shortage be better targeted to rural-specific problems?
The project is expected to promote Nordic knowledge exchange and to have a positive impact on development strategies that ensure robust regions and labour markets in the Nordic region.
Related Research Projects
- Demographic trends in the Nordic local labour markets
- Adapting to, or mitigating demographic change?
- From migrants to workers: Immigration and integration at the local level in the Nordic countries
- From migrants to workers: Regional and local practices on integration of labour migrants and refugees in rural areas in the Nordic countries