The Nordic countries are often placed at the top of global rankings on sustainable development. Well-established democratic systems are in place to fight poverty, promote economic growth and ensure gender equality, as well as to protect the environment and peace and justice.
Much of the success of the Nordic Region stems from the local system of governance, under which many decisions are taken in local democratic forums. In the Nordic countries, municipalities are the most local form of official public authority with elected politicians. In many ways, municipalities and regions support the wellbeing of our everyday lives in the Nordic Region. They provide public services such as infrastructure, waste treatment and social services. Therefore, local and regional authorities are critical to the overall successful implementation of the sustainability ambitions established at other government levels. A change towards sustainable development will not occur without the commitment of the local and regional governments.
In October 2019, the Nordic Council of Ministers organised an event in Stockholm for Nordic municipalities and other local authorities to meet and exchange their experiences in working with Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). This policy brief provides a synthesis of conclusions from the event, findings from a previous study on the topic and the authors’ experience within the sustainability field.
- Global goals for local priorities: The 2030 Agenda at local level
- Globala mål för lokala prioriteringar: Agenda 2030 på lokal nivå
- Agenda 2030. How to reach the goals and measure success at the local level
- Localising the Sustainable Development Goals in Europe: Perspectives for the north
- Agenda 2030 och hållbarhetsmålen på lokal nivå
- Agenda 2030 at the local level
- Agenda 2030 at the local level: What’s next?
- Lunch seminar on Agenda 2030 in the Nordic Region, Umeå
- Join Nordregio at Urban Future & H22 sustainable cities expo in Helsingborg
- Steering towards a sustainable future
- 17 February: Taking the 2030 Agenda to the local level!