The Nordic countries are often positioned as digital front-runners in the European and global contexts. Digitalisation is changing the nature of business, jobs and provision of public services. Rapid digitalisation and technological change require governments and organisations to introduce proactive measures to embrace new digitalisation opportunities. How to create an enabling environment for digital transformation at the local, regional, national and Nordic levels?
This policy brief explores the local and regional dimension of digital transformation. It examines the opportunities and challenges that Nordic regions are facing related to digitalisation, and highlights some lessons learned from five Nordic regions implementing digitalisation agendas. It also sets out key recommendations for creating an enabling environment for digitalisation work at different governance levels.
This research is part of the work of the Nordic Thematic Group on Innovative and Resilient Regions established by the Nordic Council of Ministers.
Related Research Projects
- Governing the digital transition in Nordic Regions: The human element
- TG2 Innovative and Resilient Regions – Roadshow report
- The Nordic Thematic Group for Innovative and Resilient Regions 2017–2020 – final report
- Synergies between Nordic studies on resilience, digitalisation, smart specialisation and skills development
- Closed borders and divided communities: status report and lessons from Covid-19 in cross-border areas