Specialised in regional development, innovation environments, innovation promotion, technology transfer, issues related to non-metropolitan regions.
Doctor of Technology, University of Oulu, Industrial Engineering and Management, 2008
MBA, Helsinki School of Economics, 1989
Project Manager, Regional Council of Lapland, 2012-13 (Arctic Smart Specialization Project)
Senior Researcher, University of Turku, 2011-2013
Project Manager, SkyPro Clean Air project by University of Oulu and Micropolis Technology Centre, 2008-2011
Managing Director, Norrum Oy, 1995-, with assignments ranging from EU related interregional co-operation programmes to region-specific and company-specific issues
Managing Director, Cerntech Oy, 1991-1995
Publications by Jukka Teräs (2008-2013)
Teräs, Jukka – Ylinenpää, Håkan (2012): Regional Dynamics in Non-metropolitan Hi-tech Clusters: A longitudinal study of two Nordic regions. Book chapter. In: Innovation Governance in an Open Economy. Shaping Regional Nodes in a Globalized World. Edited by Annika Rickne, Staffan Laestadius, Henry Etzkowitz. Published 24th April 2012 by Routledge. 314 pages
Pasquinelli, Cecilia – Teräs, Jukka (2012): Branding knowledge-intensive Regions. A comparative Study of Pisa and Oulu High-Tech Brands. European Planning Studies. DOI:10.1080/09654313.2012.722962.
Teräs, Jukka – Alatossava, Ari (2012): Sub-regional development agencies: The Finnish Experience. Book Chapter. In: Regional Development Agencies: The next generation? Networking, Knowledge and Regional Policies. Edited by Nicola Bellini, Mike Danson, Henrik Halkier. Published 19th July 2012 by Routledge. 316 pages
Teräs, J (2010): The development path of the software industry in North Finland. TEKES Publication 273/2010.
Teräs, J (2009): Institutions and Governance. In: Entrepreneurship and the innovation system of the Agder region, Norway. A review by the Local Economic and Employment Development (LEED) Programme of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)
Teräs, J (2008): Regional Science-based clusters. A case study of three European concentrations. Acta Universitatis Ouluensis Publication series C 302. Oulu 2008.
Presentations by Jukka Teräs (2008-2015)
“Nordic Study on Industrial Symbiosis” at COP21, Nordic Council of Ministers Pavilion, Le Bourget, Paris, France, 2015
“The potential of industrial symbiosis as a key driver for green growth“ at The Nordic Council of Ministers special session “Moving towards a zero-waste society- the Nordic solutions”. World Efficiency Conference, Paris, France 2015
“Circular economy and industrial symbiosis as drivers for regional development“ at the Rohevik Conference, Tartu, Estonia 2015
“Academic insights into cluster development – the Nordic perspective” at The European Network of Innovation Agencies TAFTIE Expert session on Cluster Policy & Management, Berlin, Germany 2015
“Bioeconomy, Smart Specialization and Development strategies for Rural regions“ (Teräs-Lindberg) at Presentation at theRSA annual conference, Piacenza, Italy 2015
“Bioeconomy in the Nordic Region – Regional case study by Nordregio“ at FORES Conference on How to reduce car emissions and grow the bioeconomy, Stockholm 2015.
“Bioeconomy from the viewpoint of regions – Forssa region as part of the Nordic Study“ at LUO Seminar, Hämeenlinna, Finland 2015
“Arctic Local Communities and the Competence Building in Relation to Large Mining Projects – the North European Experience” at ICASS International Arctic Conference on Social Sciences, Prince George, Canada, 2014
“Regional dynamics in non-metropolitan high-tech clusters – the examples of Oulu and Luleå” at Nordregio Forum. Keflavik, Iceland 2014.
“Bioeconomy – driver for rural development.” at the Rohevik conference, Tartu, Estonia 2014
Teräs, Jukka (2013): What is happening in Finland: The Finnish innovation system. Presentation at the “Tempen på länet”. Conference organized by Regional Council of Norrbotten. Haparanda, Sweden, May 28, 2013.
Teräs, Jukka (2013): Building up second generation mining clusters in North Finland. Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers 2013, Los Angeles, April 2013AAG 2013 LA
Presentation in Stavanger, Norway 2012: Northern Periphery programme. RIBS project.
Presentation in Borgarnes, Iceland, 2011: Rural Innovation and Business Systems commentary. Northern Periphery programme.
Presentation in Kajaani University of Applied Sciences, Finland (2011, 2013) : Clusters and regional development.
Presentation in Valencia, Spain (2010): An analysis of the Finnish system of technology centres. Key factors to consider in the development of technology centres of Comunitat Valenciana.
Keynote presentation, TCI Global Cluster conference, Academic Summit, Jyväskylä (2009): Regional science-based clusters: what can we learn from them?
Presentation at Fiera della Conoscienza conference, L´Aquila, Italy (2009): Clusters as an innovative model in the industrial policy in Europe.
Presentation at the University of La Rioja, Logrono, Spain (2008): Finland, a development model based on R&D.
Jukka Teräs‘s spatial story
From Arctic Circle to Stockholm via Helsinki
I was born in 1960 and spent the first 17 years of my life in Rovaniemi, Finland, near the Arctic Circle. From those years, I remember some harsh winter conditions but also plenty of sunshine including the summer time midnight sun.
Photo: The Ounaskoski Bridge in Rovaniemi in North Finland – my home town 1960-1978
In 1978, I moved to Helsinki. I started my studies at the Helsinki University of Technology where I learned a lot about Technical Physics, Production Economics and many other things. In 1986, I had the possibility to join the Business Development Unit of the national power generation company, Imatran Voima Oy, in Helsinki. I still remember the inspiring and encouraging work atmosphere at Imatran Voima Oy (which later became part of the power company Fortum Oyj). In 1990, I took over as Managing Director of Cerntech Oy, the technology transfer company working with the Finnish high technology companies and the CERN Research Centre in Geneva, Switzerland. What an exciting work experience with strong international flavour it was!
In 1995, it was time to establish Norrum Oy, a technology transfer company of my own, with offices in Helsinki and Rovaniemi. I have always been interested in regional development, innovation, and entrepreneurship. The assignments of Norrum Oy have provided me with strong, broad-based know how on regional issues, innovation promotion, and entrepreneurship – with both private and public sector clients.
In 2004, I started doctoral studies on research-driven regional clusters at the University of Oulu, Finland. I defended my Doctor of Science (Tech.) thesis successfully in 2008. My recent post-doc assignments include a Research Fellow position at Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna, Pisa in Italy, and a Senior Researcher position at the University of Turku, in Finland.
As the latest chapter of my Spatial Story, the year 2013 has opened yet another highly interesting avenue. I look forward to working with the Nordregio team of experts on issues related to regional economic growth and innovation.
- ASUS Arctic Sustainability
- Regional Economic and Social Resilience
- Digitalisation as a tool for sustainable Nordic regional development
- BSR Stars S3 – Smart specialization in bio-, circular and digital economy in the Baltic Sea Region
- Common Indicators
- ESPON Cross-border Public Services
- EUSBSR SUPPORT
- Evaluation of Åland Rural Programme 2014-2020
- Evaluation of Åland “Entrepreneurship and Competence” Programme 2014-2020
- HIGHER – Better Policy Instruments for High Innovation Projects in the European Regions
- Business Financing in the Arctic
- Digitalisation in rural and sparsely populated areas – joint Nordic-Baltic learning
- Skills Policies – Building Capacities for Innovative and Resilient Nordic Regions
- Trend analysis for Bioeconomy in the Baltic Sea Region
- Linking innovation and resilience: Synergy effects for regional development
- Regional Development Network Cooperation Model VALUMA
- GROM – Green transition in the Arctic
- Inclusive Digitalization in the Baltic Sea Region: An Instrument for Growth and Development in Declining Rural Areas?
- Industrial Symbiosis – A key driver of Green Growth in Nordic Regions?
- Nordregio News 1 2016
- The potential of industrial symbiosis as a key driver of green growth in Nordic regions
- Bioeconomy – the growth engine for Nordic regions?
- Nordregio News Issue 4 2014: Bioeconomy and Regional Economic Development
- Bioeconomy in the Nordic region: Regional case studies
- Nordregio News 4 2017
- REGINA Policy brief 2017:1: Local Smart Specialisation: a strategy for remote communities with large-scale resource-based industries
- Synthesis report: Nordic working group for green growth – innovation and entrepreneurship 2013-2016
- Developing a greener economy in Nordic regions: interventions to overcome the challenges
- Nordic Green Growth Road Show
- GREEN GROWTH IN NORDIC REGIONS 50 ways to make it happen
- Regional Economic and Social Resilience: An Exploratory In-Depth Study in the Nordic Countries
- The status, characteristics and potential of smart specialisation in Nordic Regions
- Building Economic and Social Resilience in the Nordic Regions
- Implementing Smart Specialisation strategies in Nordic regions
- Social and Economic Resilience in the Bothnian Arc Cross-Border Region