I am specialised in GIS and cartography, data management and spatial analysis. In my everyday work, I participate in three Horizon 2020 projects, which cover the topics like social justice and territorial cohesion, impact of climate change and stakeholder engagement, urban agriculture and international knowledge transfer. I also help develop and maintain Nordregio’s interactive web mapping tool – NordMap.
MSc in Transport and Geoinformation Technology, KTH Royal Institute of Technology (Sweden)
BSc in Geographical Information System, Beijing Normal University (China)
GIS Intern at Nordregio, Stockholm, Sweden, 2015
GIS Intern at Beijing Municipal Institute of City Planning and Design, Beijing, China, 2014
Shinan Wang‘s spatial story
Why Sweden? – Experience and embrace the difference
I have been asked all the time the question that why I chose Sweden to do my master and eventually to live here.
Sweden is an exotic country to most of the Chinese people. But why is Sweden for me? I have a story to tell.
My hometown is called Wuxi, which is located in south-eastern China and close to Shanghai. After my graduation from high school, I decided to go to a university in Beijing. It was a big challenge for me and also my family then, since Beijing is over 1000 kilometres away. From our understanding at that time, Beijing and Wuxi are different in many ways. However, I wanted to experience the difference. It turned out that I liked and embraced these differences during my three-year stay in Beijing.
I had an opportunity to do an exchange study in Gothenburg during my bachelor study. Sweden was only a name on the map for me at that time, but I encouraged myself to take this opportunity. I can still recall my complicated feeling on the flight which was a mixture of curiosity, excitement, and nervousness. After one-year stay, I made my decision that I would come back here. Half a year later, I received the admission letter together with a scholarship from KTH. My dream came true.
Student life in Stockholm was amazing, which was a totally different experience and was more like an adventure that I really enjoyed. I’m so glad that I made the right decision to come back to Sweden. After I finished my study, I was lucky and I got a job here at Nordregio. Now my new adventure with unknowns and challenges has started!
- Nunataryuk – permafrost thaw and changing arctic coast: science for socio-economic adaptation
- Sino-European innovative green and smart cities (SiEUGreen)
- Health care and care with distance-spanning technologies, e-health and digitalisation
- RELOCAL (Resituating the local in cohesion and territorial development)
- BT 2050
- Demographic vulnerability for Swedish-Norwegian border municipalities
- State of Lapland
- Enhanced Nordic-Baltic cooperation on challenges of labour mobility in the Nordic-Baltic region 2014-2015
- Compiling, processing, and visualising statistical data of 33 of the goals of Region Jämtland Härjedalen’s regional development strategy 2014-2030
- Defining Värmland
- How does place impact the possibility to follow restrictions during corona times? (PORECO)
- Accessibility to Health Services in Iceland